TODAY   |  November 07, 2011

Trip to Skeleton Coast kicks off Where in the World

To kick off his tenth Where in the World adventure, TODAY’s Matt Lauer traveled to Namibia’s eerie and impressive Skeleton Coast.

Share This:

This content comes from Closed Captioning that was broadcast along with this program.

>> where in the world, where in the world is matt lauer

>> hey, guys. good morning. it's nice to see you. i hope you had a nice weekend and if you remember before i left you on friday i did give you that little clue. it conjures up thoughts of a child's worst fright but there are no people to scare in this skier's delight. for the first time this week and hopefully the fifth time or fifth to last time ever, where in the world am i?

>> you know, obviously i'm wrong. i was thinking over the weekend, transylvania because it's scary there and skiing.

>> i have no idea.

>> looking at your background and wearing a lightweight shirt i was guessing antarctica, the ghost mountains but i'm completely wrong.

>> okay, matt, where are you?

>> here we go. let me break down the clue for you. the conjuring up thoughts of a child's worst fright refers to skeletons, all kids are afraid of skeleton so we're on the skeleton coast of africa. the part about no people to scare, it's because we are also in the middle of the nabib desert and if you translate nabib in the traditional language of koi koi , it means language of no people. instead of telling you about, why don't i show it to you. if you're ready, look out below.

>> sand skiing.

>> oh, wow.

>> wow.

>> oh my gosh.

>> all right! that's fun.

>> this is namibia ? is that where they are? because they have the beautiful dunes.

>> beautiful.

>> nice form, matt.

>> so here in the southern hemisphere , that is what we call spring skiing and they, ann, on the way down i heard you say it, is that in namibia . you're right. we're at one of the most amazing countries i've been doing in the ten years of this series. the dunes stretch as far as the eye can see. actually for hundreds and hundreds of miles, and they're ever changing. the winds here between the desert and the atlantic reshape the dunes every single day. some move as much as a half a mile every single year. you can walk a couple of hundred yards in any direction and feel completely isolated, just you and lizards and beetles and occasional marimba band. it's a very young country. namibia is the third youngest country in all of africa, lots of variety here. up north and to the west the terrain changes dramatically. you've got exotic an jals, the big five everybody wants to see on safari, elephants, we'll take to you see those and huge colonies of cape fur seals down by the atlantic ocean just a short distance from here. i'll take to you see those live in a little while, also, diamonds and the definition of the skeleton coast , think whales and shipwrecks. i promise you won't be disappointed as we spend the morning in namibia .

>> you already got us smiling, matt. thanks so much.