It's the season of celebration! But while we're excited for all the winter festivities, bundling up in boring jackets can feel like a drag. Luckily, your warm and cozy coat can still be sleek and stylish thanks to the excellent options this season.
From military-inspired buttons and faux-fur styles, to classic puffers and plaid patterns, these are our favorite ways to brave the cold and still look cool.
Perhaps the biggest outerwear trend of the season comes in the form of gold buttons and piping. Bonus points for toggles and flap pockets!
1. Military Jacket, $100, Zara
2. On Parade Jacket, $78, Miss Iny
3. Military Style Coat, $169, Mango
Whether you want a dose of masculine or preppy when it comes to your outerwear, plaid can fit nicely into either category. The only trouble you’ll have is deciding between bold checks and more muted hues. Check mate.
4. Felted Coat, $99, H&M
5. Stand Collar Plus Size Coat, $70, Old Navy
6. New Look Check Smart Coat, $83, ASOS
7. Check Wool-Blend Coat, $80, Mango
Your favorite party dress deserves an equally amazing topper. Ensure warmth by choosing a length that’s at least as long as your cocktail dress and don’t be afraid to go bold with the color or pattern. A brocade print or unexpected silhouette will help you stand out from the crowd.
8. KAOS Twenty Easy Full-Length Jacket, $87, YOOX
9. FRS Navy Wool-blended Cape Overcoat, $98, Front Row Shop
10. Dolly Coat in Floral, $120, ASOS
What’s the next best thing to staying home wrapped in a big blanket? Wearing a faux-fur coat, of course. These ultracozy styles look luxurious and chic, but feel like a hug from a teddy bear. Dress it up or down and don’t be afraid to wear it with everything you own.
11. Faux Fur Striped Coat, $100, Zara
12. Faux Fur Jacket, $80, H&M
13. Paige Crop Black Faux Fur Coat, $70, Boohoo
14. Erin Faux Fur Jacket, $98, Nasty Gal
A weekend-wear favorite, a puffy coat can feel sporty — but that doesn’t mean it should be reserved for the slopes alone. Try it with a sweater and jeans or style with slacks and a sweater for an athleisure-chic vibe.
15. Tna Botanie Jacket, $85, Aritzia
16. Funnel Neck Puffer Jacket, $39, Joe Fresh
17. Women Stretch Down Coat, $80, Uniqlo
A classic wool coat with a twist — otherwise known as those belted “robe” coats — are easy to get on board with and even easier to style. Try pulling it just a bit off the shoulder for a runway-inspired look.
18. Wool-blend Coat, $80, H&M
19. Ellie Oversized Shawl Collar Belted Coat, $35, Boohoo
20. Who What Wear Women’s Great Wrap Coat, $60, Target
This “wild” print actually acts a neutral and looks especially great over black and brown staples.
21. Lavish Alice On the Fly Cape jacket, $108, Nasty Gal
22. Faux Fur Cheetah Print Coat, $50, Forever21
23. River Island Leopard Coat, $120, ASOS