Ombre has been a hair color trend for years, but the style has now worked its way onto our manicures.
Similarly to the hair craze, ombre nails are all about creating a color gradient where there's a lighter color that gradually blends into a darker one. And much like hair, finding the perfect ombre does take a bit of practice. The good news is that nails are a lot less commitment!
The experts at Paintbox in New York City shared the easiest tutorial with TODAY for creating this ombre look at home. No nail tech required!
O is for ... Ombre
More Beauty videos
Why I love my 'masculine' eyebrows just as they are
Unicorn tears and moon fruit? Bobbie Thomas shares latest in beauty trends
Vital tips for protecting your skin from harsh winter weather
Fierce and festive makeup tips to keep you glamorous on New Year’s Eve
1. Prep the nails and apply base coat.
2. Pick three shades of polish in the same color family. We went for red for a more subtle look.
3. Paint the lightest shade over the entire nail. We used "Hunger" by Nars. Allow it to dry well.
4. Dip a makeup sponge in the darkest color. We used a deep oxblood red RBG's "Scarlet." Sponge it onto the tip of the nail down to about one-third of the way.
Pro tip: Try using a Beautyblender. It's acetone resistant and doesn't shed like other makeup sponges.
4. Sponge a shade that is halfway between the other two on the middle of the nail, blending the two colors together.
Pro tip: Keep each coat thin to allow them to dry well. Several coats will be needed to achieve full coverage on the tip.
5. Apply a top coat to smooth and allow to dry.