Hollywood A-listers are under a lot of pressure to have a perfect complexion in a moment's notice. That's why top makeup artists know all the tips, tricks and products that can fix a breakout in an instant.
Read on to discover the drugstore purchases these beloved experts turn to in a pinch for clear, smooth and radiant skin.
Makeup artist: Gucci Westman
Celebrity clients include Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Blake Lively, Jennifer Lawerence and Cameron Diaz.
1. Visine Lubricant/Redness Reliever Eye Drops ($6.49, riteaid.com): This dry-eye staple can help with breakouts. “If your blemishes are very red, Visine can reduce the appearance," Westman says.
More Beauty videos
How to get look-at-me lashes for less
Aly Raisman on why she loves her muscular arms
The weird ‘feather brow’ trend started as a joke
Mules are spring’s hottest shoe trend: Lilliana’s Luxe for Less
Makeup artist: Lisa Eldridge
Author of "Face Paint: The Story of Makeup." Celebrity clients include Kate Winslet, Keira Knightley, Lily Collins, Kate Moss, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Emma Watson.
2. Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm ($8.49, target.com): “Facial massage is one of the quickest ways to boost the skin’s condition and glow," Eldridge suggests. "Just a couple of minutes can have a huge effect — I do it on all my clients before I start their makeup, using a cleansing balm like Botanics Hot Cloth.”
Makeup artist: Sir John
Celebrity clients include Beyoncé, Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide First Aid Antiseptic ($1.09, walgreens.com): "I often use peroxide as a toner when I feel my pores are congested, or when a pimple is about to erupt," Sir John says. “Peroxide kills the bacteria that causes pimples.”
Makeup artist: Sheika Daley
Celebrity clients include Nicki Minaj, Zendaya, Kelly Rowland, LaLa Anthony, Serena Williams and Brandy.
4. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser Lotion ($8.09, walgreens.com): “Cetaphil is my favorite cleanser," Daley says. "It's great for sensitive skin and it takes off makeup very well.”
Makeup artist: Angel Merino
Celebrity clients include Chanel Iman, Fifth Harmony, Christina Milian and Mel B.
5. Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment ($8.79, walgreens.com): “It's a miracle worker! The product penetrates into your pores and instantly reduces the appearance of pimples,” says Merino.
Makeup artist: Gita Bass
Celebrity clients include Emily Ratajkowski, Elizabeth Olsen, Taylor Schilling and Mia Goth.
6. Simple Kind to Skin Dual Effect Eye Makeup Remover ($7.99, cvs.com): “I love this product because it removes all traces of eye makeup — without harsh rubbing — and conditions the lashes at the same time," says Bass. "Finally, I can convince my clients to wear waterproof mascara to prevent smudges, as there will be no more damage to their lashes or the sensitive eye area."
Makeup artist: Yolonda Frederick-Thompson
Celebrity clients include Ciara and Jennifer Hudson.
7. Olay Regenerist Micro-Exfoliating Wet Facial Cleansing Wipe ($8.49, cvs.com): “My favorite drugstore beauty product is Olay's cleansing wipes," says Frederick-Thompson. "I love having them in my makeup kit to use on my clients because they are so convenient. They detoxify by removing dirt and makeup, deep clean and exfoliate to improve the overall appearance of the skin.”
Makeup artist: Carola Gonzalez
Celebrity clients include Kerry Washington, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alicia Keys, Gabrielle Union, Leona Lewis and Uzo Aduba.
8. Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Water Gel with SPF 15 ($17.95, neutrogena.com): "I love this product and use it every morning, especially living in LA where it's very dry. It gives the skin an extra boost of hydration," says Gonzalez. "It’s definitely an added bonus to your skin regimen, leaving skin feeling fresh, supple, rejuvenated, radiant and hydrated. What else can you ask for?”
Makeup artist: Wendy Rowe
Celebrity clients include Doutzen Kroes, Lindsey Wixson, Sienna Miller Victoria Beckham, Cara Delevingne and Gisele Bündchen.
9. Avène’s Mattifying Lotion ($29.00, drugstore.com): "For oily, shiny skin, I love Avène’s lotion because it has a mattifying effect on the skin, but it isn’t drying,” Rowe says.
Makeup artist: Monika Blunder
Celebrity clients include Emilia Clarke, Megan Fox and Jessica Alba.
10. Bioré Self Heating One-Minute Mask with Natural Charcoal ($5.47, walmart.com): “[It's] a super quick mini-facial," says Blunder. "This mask warms up on the skin, opens pores and then draws out impurities. Your skin will feel smooth and refreshed immediately afterward. Plus, it only takes one minute!”
Makeup artist: Lavonne Anthony
Celebrity clients include Danai Gurira, Jamila Velazquez, Kerry Washington, Patricia Heaton and Betsey Johnson.
11. Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Moisturizer ($21.28, walmart.com): This moisturizer "is anti-aging and has hyaluronic acid, which plumps the skin from within," says Anthony.
12. Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets ($4.74, walmart.com): "These sheets remove excess shine without smudging your makeup,” Anthony adds.
Makeup artist: Ashunta Sheriff
Celebrity clients include Taraji P. Henson, Carmen Ejogo, Molly Sims and Tika Sumpter.
13. Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser ($5.39, walmart.com): “It's my favorite cleanser on the market because it cleans pores deeply, removing buildup and residue,” says Sheriff.
Stylist: Camille Thompson
Celebrity clients include Bill Clinton, Roberta Flack, EJ Johnson and Jasmine Tookes.
14. Humphrey's Witch Hazel Astringent ($28.00, walmart.com): “My go-to product for oily skin is Humphrey's Witch Hazel Astringent because it stabilizes oil production, tones the skin and tightens the appearance of pores," says Thompson. "It also helps soothe and treat any skin irritations while preventing acne.”
Stylist: Luis Casco
Celebrity clients include Jaime King, Kathy Ireland, Karolina Kurkova, Cameron Diaz and Coco Rocha.
15. L'Oréal Revitalift Bright Reveal Brightening SPF 30 Moisturizer ($19.99, walgreens.com): “Right now, I'm really loving products that have multiple benefits," says Casco. "This moisturizer is an amazing value. It has glycolic acid, vitamin C and pro-retinol, which usually you'd have to use separately. I think most people (men included) really want products with no frills and this one is it.”
Stylist: Amber Dreadon
Celebrity clients include Lorde, Haim and Jaime King.
16. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Cleanser + Makeup Remover ($8.99, walgreens.com): “I love to use this to prep the skin before makeup application and gently cleanse away makeup at the end of the day," says Dreadon. "For many years, I would bring bottles of cleansing water back from Paris after fashion week, where they are an essential beauty item. It is a dream to have a great cleansing water readily available in the US! Perfect for sensitive skin, the Garnier water will cleanse without stripping or aggravating the skin.”
Makeup artist: Alex Byrne
Celebrity clients include Lindsey Wixson, Rosamund Pike, Noomi Rapace and Bellamy Young.
17. Evian Spray Brumisateur Natural Mineral Water, Travel ($7.50, drugstore.com): “After removing every last atom of dirt in my skin, sometimes I'll use a small size of Evian's facial spray to tone twice," says Byrne. "I’m obsessed!”
Makeup artist: D'Andre Michael
Celebrity clients include Angela Bassett, Queen Latifah, Garcelle Beauvais and Mary J. Blige.
18. Aquaphor Healing Skin Ointment ($14.99, walgreens.com): “Aquaphor Healing Skin Ointment contains natural ingredients that create a barrier and lock in moisture," says Michael. "It's fragrance-free, non-irritating and can be used by those with sensitive skin while treating dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. It can help repair skin that has been damaged by cosmetic procedures, the weather, sunburn and acne.”
More Style Tips videos
Would you pay $425 for fake mud-splattered jeans from Nordstrom?
Off-the-shoulder dresses, boozy milkshakes, drone photography: See latest wedding trends
First lady portraits through the years
Mules are spring’s hottest shoe trend: Lilliana’s Luxe for Less
Makeup artist: Michael Anthony
Celebrity clients include Victoria Justice, Brooke Candy and Carly Chaikin of "Mr. Robot."
19. Vichy LiftActiv Nuit Complete Anti-Wrinkle & Firming Care ($50, walgreens.com): "I use the night cream and I always wake up feeling like my skin has been at the spa. It’s a great moisturizer for the skin, neck and back of hands, as well as a prep for makeup application," Anthony says. "On the fashion runway, it’s used to add shine to the cheekbones as a natural-looking highlight.”
Makeup artist: Jamie Greenberg
Celebrity clients include Tracee Ellis Ross, Rashida Jones, Shiri Appleby and Kaley Cuoco.
20. Burt's Bees Cleansing Oil ($15.99, cvs.com): "Burt's Bees Cleansing Oil is luxurious, cleans your skin beautifully and is affordable — and the kicker [is that it’s] all natural," says Greenberg.
Makeup artist: Charlotte Willer
Celebrity clients include Uma Thurman, Julianne Moore, Jennifer Lopez, Cate Blanchett and Lara Stone.
21. Vaseline Petroleum Jelly ($6.79, riteaid.com): “Vaseline is a product that I love and always have in my kit because I find it easy to take off eye makeup ," says Willer. "Apply a generous amount to the eyes and rub with your fingers. Then just use a humidified cotton pad to take it off — unlike a lot of other makeup removers, the lashes actually like this treatment.”
See, you don't need a celebrity budget to achieve a clear complexion.