For all of summer's many pleasures, hair certainly suffers through this season of heat, humidity and chlorine. Whether you have frizzy follicles, an oily scalp or fried ends, celebrity experts are here to share their favorite rescue products — and they can all be found at the local drugstore!
Stylist: Juan Carlos Maciques
Hairstylist at the Rita Hazan Salon in New York City. Celebrity clients include Jennifer Lopez, Chrissy Teigen, Paula Abdul and Emmy Rossum.
1. Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Heat Defense Leave-In Conditioner ($3.79, walgreens.com): “A summer secret is to use (this) as a curl activator if you have curly, unruly hair. Apply a more generous amount than needed, comb through and let air dry. It will tame the curly frizz through intense moisture and seal the curl to lock in its natural pattern.”
More Beauty videos
Fitness trainer shares why she loves her imperfections
Kathie Lee: I loved kissing Tom Selleck’s mustache
How to avoid chipped nails, fading lipstick: Your beauty questions answered
Are ‘man bangs’ the new man bun? (Carson Daly gives them a try)
Stylist: Giovanni Vaccaro
Creative director at GLAMSQUAD. Celebrity clients include Brooke Shields, Ivanka Trump, model Lindsay Ellingson and Paris Hilton.
2. 10 Miracle Styling Serum ($25, cvs.com): “It adds shine to dull locks and controls frizz while smoothing strands in the heat. It leaves no icky residue so hair feels light and healthy instead of weighed down from the heat.”
3. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Professional Deep Recovery Hair Mask ($8, walgreens.com): “Perfect to keep hair healthy in the heat and infuse life back into strands that have spent too much time in the sun and ocean.”
Stylist: Sheenon Olson
Creative director of ATMA Beauty. Celebrity clients include Elizabeth Olsen, Alessandra Ambrosio and Elle Macpherson.
4. Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery ($24, target.com): “This product is great to smooth and tame hair that becomes unruly in the summer heat and humidity. It’s moisturizing, hydrating, softening, smoothing, strengthening and repairs damage — what more do you need?"
5. Rusk Str8 Anti-Frizz and Anti-Curl Lotion ($13, walmart.com): "This product is great for smoothing hair. You simply put it in your hair after you towel dry and before you style. Be sure you have a good blow dryer and a boar bristle brush to get that perfect polish."
6. Matrix Biolage Smoothing Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner ($22, walmart.com): "I've always loved this shampoo and conditioner. (It) leaves the hair feeling perfectly smooth, which is just what you need in the summer. This is also great for hair that tangles easily."
Stylist: Michael Dueñas
Celebrity clients include Lady Gaga, Connie Britton, Mariah Carey, Padma Lakshmi, Molly Sims, Ariel Winter and Lea Michele.
7. Conair Quick Blow-Dry Pro Vented Brush ($13, target.com): “It helps dry the hair incredibly fast and lets me keep volume. I use it on wet hair to blow straight and smooth, or even just on the root to get all the volume I want. Plus, the copper is an antimicrobial!”
Stylist: Felicia Leatherwood
Celebrity clients include Jill Scott, Terrance Howard, Ava Duvernay, Teyonah Parris, Yara Rashidi and Nicole Ari Parker.
8. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner ($4.97, walmart.com): “One of the major concerns with textured hair is moisture ... It needs moisture and hydration to preserve and define the curls. It’s a must-have to stock up on a very good, hydrating conditioner.”
9. Aussie’s Moist 3 Minute Miracle Moist ($4, walgreens.com): “Chlorine is pretty harsh on the hair, so we need to protect it prior. Jojoba oil is one of the best essential oils that protect your hair from harsh chemicals. Simply twist the product into your hair and, if you’re going to go swimming, it will continue to add moisture as you’re wearing it under a swim cap. It’s also great as a sunscreen for your hair and scalp.”
10. Pantene Expert Intense Smooth ($5, target.com): “When hair isn’t moisturized or getting dried out from the sun, its cuticles open in attempts to grab moisture from the air, which leads to an unsightly halo of frizz. This leave-in combats frizz and helps coat the cuticle layer.”
Stylist: Vanessa Ungaro
Co-founder of LAUREN+VANESSA salon. Celebrity clients include Lisa Edelstein, Janina Gavankar, Ana Beatriz Barros and Molly Sims.
11. Dove Strength and Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray ($3.85, jet.com): “This fights frizz and sets hair without the crunch.”
Stylist: Ricardo Rojas
Celebrity clients include Eva Longoria, Amber Heard and Naomi Campbell.
12. Nexxus Headdress Leave-In Conditioning Creme ($22, drugstore.com): “I suggest using a leave-in conditioner to help with frizzy hair. It’s great for dealing with hair issues during the summer.”
Stylist: Marilynne Cosmillo
Hairstylist at Cherry Blow Dry Bar. Celebrity clients include Blake Lively, Lauren Conrad and Kate Upton.
13. Not Your Mothers Girl Powder ($6, drugstore.com): No more flat hair! “On dry hair, sprinkle just a tiny bit of this powder onto your finger tips and massage at your roots where you need revived volume. It leaves a slight texture in the hair that lifts and holds for volume that won’t fall — it’s addicting!”
14. Studio 35 Shimmer Lights Purple Shampoo (Priced per store, walgreens.com): “In the summer, our hair can get those orange and yellow, brassy tones from the sun. Purple shampoo counteracts those unwanted shades between color visits. One wash a week with this purple shampoo will keep unwanted brightness at bay.”
15. John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray ($10, walgreens.com): “This is a must-have for texture. This spray is wet, so you can wash, spritz and go for a naturally dried beach look. Or, transform your curly blowout style into Giselle hair by spraying it into your hands and scrunching into your hair for tons of tousled body.”
16. Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo ($5.50,ulta.com): “Aerosol dry shampoos are great for all hair types and very easy to apply. Its light formula allows you to spray all over to lift your hair back up for another day of fresh volume.”
Stylist: Daniel Janicek
Hairstylist at Salon DJ. Celebrity clients include Katie Couric.
17. Not Your Mother's Double Take Dry Finish Texture Spray ($6.19, ulta.com): “Once your hair is curled and already defined, section off a few sections with your fingers and spray evenly throughout. Scrunch with your fingers and enjoy your beach-like texture. Just finding the right product that will give you that dry, but beach-y texture is key to pulling this off well. What you'll end up with is shiny touchable curls — minus the frizz — that look perfectly effortless.”