Dads are our everyday heroes and Father’s Day is the best excuse to spoil them for all the ways they help, both big and small.
Whether your dad loves to spend time outdoors or in the kitchen, is obsessed with gadgets or has a flair for style, here are 40 gifts that will at least go part of the way in saying “thank you for everything." Because if you can’t give gratitude with juicy steaks, silly socks or a watch with your face on it, how can you?
Father's Day gift ideas for techy dadsPlay Video - 3:03
Father's Day gift ideas for techy dadsPlay Video - 3:03
Tax season, new styles, home decorations: How to prepare for spring
How to handle the cost of aging parents: Is a reverse mortgage for you?
Want to be a millionaire? Start by making your bed!
How to help aging parents make legal, medical and financial decisions
For the stylish dad:
Whether the dad (or granddad) on your list is already fashionable or needs a little assistance with his wardrobe, TODAY Style is here to help. With unique, customizable and comfortable options starting at just $5, any of the items below are bound to be a hit.
1. Bonobos "Riviera" short sleeve shirt, $85, Bonobos.com: Upgrade and update dad’s summer wardrobe with a stylish, slim-cut shirt in a fun pattern that’s surprisingly easy to wear.
2. Old Navy textured backpack, $28, Oldnavy.com: Perfect for toting everything from diapers and wipes to toddler toys and a change of clothes, a durable and good-looking backpack is perfect for the do-everything dad.
3. Thursday Finest customizable "Le Roger" tie, $69, Thursdayfinest.com: Choose from a huge range of colors and customized height specifications to create your dad’s next favorite (and completely personalized) knit tie.
4. Hypergrand ‘01NATO’ classic honey leather watch, $99, Hypergrand.com: HyperGrand’s leather strap watch is minimal, sleek and works well with both casual and dressy attire.
5. Everlane drawstring pants, $65, Everlane.com: Drawstring pants that aren’t sweats? Oh, yes. Give your dad the gift of comfort with a go-to weekend staple that’s as acceptable for walking the dog as it is for catching the game with his buddies at the bar.
6. Modify Watches custom metal watch, $90 and up, Modifywatches.com: Remind dad just how much he's loved everyday by putting his favorite faces on his wrist. Modify Watches lets you upload a personal photo from your computer (or Instagram) and customize one of their nylon strap watches.
7. Dad novelty socks, $5, cotton.com: Cute, silly and affordable; there's no explanation necessary for this fun find.
8. Vans ‘Authentic’ sneakers, $50, Vans.com: While they are a staple of California dads, you don’t have to be a West Coast papa to make a pair of classic, lace-up Vans look good. Tell dad to throw them on with his favorite shorts and T-shirt for an easy summer ensemble.
For the foodie dad:
If your dad is most at home when he’s manning the grill or mixing a drink, treat him to something that elevates the experience. From creative gift boxes to cheeky drinking glasses, these kitchen and bar gift ideas are as creative as they are delicious.
9. Mouth ‘Bacon Me Crazy’ gift box, $72, Mouth.com: Mouth is a virtual treasure trove of creative gifts for aspiring foodies and chefs — or you know, dads who just love bacon.
10. UncommonGoods West Coast Style IPA brewing kit, $45, Uncommongoods.com: If cooking isn’t Dad’s specialty, perhaps it's beer brewing! Let him brew his own batch of patriotic IPA with hops sourced from Washington’s Yakima Valley and grains from Wisconsin.
11. Love & Victory "Mine" decanter set, $88, Ahalife.com: Sharing isn’t always caring, especially when it comes to your dad’s favorite whiskey. Let him know that he's still the boss with this glass and decanter set.
12. Omaha Steaks "The Combo Delight" quarterly steak delivery, $92 per quarter, Omahasteaks.com: Six filets of prime rib in March. Six boneless strip steaks in June. Six top sirloin cuts in September ... you get the idea. For the dad who’s been extra wonderful this year, fill his belly with the gift of year-round steak.
13. "A Super-Upsetting Cookbook About Sandwiches," by Tyler Kord, $16, Amazon.com: Lauded chef Tyler Kord muses on everything from Tom Cruise to tattoos while also sharing knock-your-socks-off recipes in this combination cookbook and collection of essays and stories.
14. Nostalgia Electronics Pop Up Hotdog Toaster, $18, HomeDepot.com: When a rainy day gets in the way of a great barbecue, help him be the hero with this easy-to-use gadget. It's retro style and removable drip makes it both adorable and practical.
More Style Tips videos
Tax season, new styles, home decorations: How to prepare for spring
Magnetic lashes to attract admiring glances: Bobbie’s Buzz
See 2 deserving moms get glamorous Ambush Makeovers
Shapewear solutions to help you shed winter layers with confidence
For the playful or well-read dad:
To stock your library or encourage more rousing family game nights, here are a bunch of fun, inspiring and playful gift ideas for dads of all ages.
15. Juniper Books ‘Make Your Own’ Penguin Classics book set, $22 and up, Juniperbooks.com: From "Dracula" to "The Odyssey," treat your dad to a customized set of literary classics that are as enjoyable to read as they are beautiful on the shelf.
16. "The Golden Age of DC Comics," by Paul Levitz, $44, Amazon.com: Comic book-inspired movies are all the rage these days, but the history behind their origins may be even more fascinating than the films. This volume (the first in a series of three) is considered the most comprehensive book on the history of DC Comics and its iconic cast of characters.
17. Mainstreet Classics backgammon set, $28, Amazon.com: Easier, faster and more fun than checkers, backgammon is one of those classic games your dad probably loves and you’ll love playing with him.
18. "The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones," by George R. R. Martin, $32, Amazon.com: If your dad is a huge "Game of Thrones" nerd (at this point, who isn’t?), treat him to what is regarded as the definitive companion piece to both the book series and HBO television series. This book covers the whole history of the Seven Kingdoms prior to the period when the books begin.
19. TYPO Sporty mug, $14, cottonon.com: It’s a mug you can hit a golf ball through. Nothing more, nothing less.
20. Disney "Star Wars" 1000-piece puzzle, $12, Toysrus.com: Don’t ask us why, but there’s something about sitting around a puzzle that’s guaranteed to get dad talking. If you’re in need of some throwback stories, then gift him this 1,000-piece puzzle featuring Luke, Leia and Han.
21. Table Topics Family set, $25, Uncommongoods.com: Encourage interesting and dynamic dinner table conversations with a box of Table Topics, which prompt discussion with introspective questions.
22. Picnic Time folding stadium chairs, $53 each, BedBathandBeyond.com: Enjoy cushioned seating comfort at the beach, pool, picnics or stadium with this portable recreational recliner. Six backrest positions offer a variety of possibilities, and adjustable backpack straps accommodate people of all heights. It's like having your own personal seat wherever you go!
More Shopping videos
Old Navy tanks, e.l.f. Cosmetics makeup, more: Spring Steals for $5 or less
Wearhaus Arc headphones, Tip N Split calculator: Great gadgets for spring
Old Navy bathing suits, Target activewear and more spring finds for under $10
Men’s sweatshirts for $9.99: Take a sneak peak at Jill’s spring Steals
For the well-groomed dad:
Bearded or clean-shaven, every dad deserves a little luxury. Treat him to something that will make his experience more personal or even more opulent. (Yes, dads like a little extravagance in their daily routine, too!)
23. Malin + Goetz ‘Essentials’ travel kit, $30, Mrporter.com: If you’re looking for a gift for a dad who travels frequently, treat him to a travel kit full of all the essentials he needs.
24. Harry’s Engraved Father’s Day shave kit, $40 (+ $15 for personalization), Harrys.com: Remind dad that you love him everyday by gifting this complete shaving kit that can be engraved with his initials.
25. The Art of Shaving "Temperance" unscented beard oil, $30, Theartofshaving.com: If your favorite dad is rocking an on-trend beard, help him keep it healthy and shiny. The Art of Shaving’s unscented beard oil is an unfussy option that's guaranteed to make those bear hugs a little less scratchy.
26. Goodwell biodegradable toothbrush, $10 (+ $6 every two months), thegoodwellcompany.com: Most toothbrushes are made of plastic, which means they’ll end up in a dump at some point. The Goodwell Company has created a toothbrush with a chrome handle that you can keep forever — simply connect a biodegradable attachment that gets replaced every two months. The Earthy dad will thank you!
For the adventurous dad:
If the dad(s) on your list have an affinity for hiking, camping, birding or just road tripping on the weekends, why not make his next adventure easier, cooler or even more exciting.
27. America the Beautiful — The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass, $80, Store.usgs.gov: This year marks the 100th year of The National Parks Service, so encourage your dad to explore and see as many of our parks around the county as possible. (Family road trip, anyone?)
28. Uniqlo light ‘Pocketable’ hooded jacket, $30, Uniqlo.com: A water-resistant jacket that folds into one of its own pockets is a must-have for any dad who loves to hike, bike and spend time outdoors all year-round.
29. Barebones ‘Pathfinder’ cooler, $60, Unitedbyblue.com: This leather-trimmed, water-resistant cooler is perfect for packing a picnic or a six-pack for a low-key outdoor adventure.
30. Nikon Aculon A211 binoculars, $90, Llbean.com: Nature enthusiasts will love these Nikon binoculars with long-distance magnification capabilities.
31. Manuel Desrochers ‘Adventure Filter’ water bottle, $75, Uncommongoods.com: Originally created for humanitarian workers in developing countries, this water bottle is perfect for wilderness-loving dads. It filters fluoride, industrial and agricultural pollutants and up to 99.9 percent of bacteria and viruses from tap, city, river or lake water.
32. Stanley "Happy Hour" adventure cocktail set, $34, Amazon.com: Roughing it in nature is no reason to go without a well-crafted cocktail. Stanley’s set, which includes a durable stainless steel shaker and four cups plus a jigger and citrus reamer, is all you need for outdoor libations (aside from ice and booze).
For the tech-y dad:
Father’s Day and gadgets go together like peanut butter and jelly. Whatever the special guy on your list loves, we’ve found an affordable and (at least somewhat) practical gadget for him.
33. XLR8 "Connect and Go" diaper bag, $130, Target.com: Modern dads, rejoice! This backpack diaper bag comes with more than 20 pockets dedicated to diapers, wipes and bottles, but also your phone and cords. Plus, it has a power bank for up to four devices so you can stay charged on the go. Is he a music guy? A bluetooth-connected speaker will play music wherever he goes and an LED light will illuminate the bag’s interiors. What more could you ask for?
34. Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic Instant Film Camera, $115, Amazon.com: For the anti-Instagram dads out there, help him capture your family’s best moments as they happen and keep them forever (or at least decorate the fridge).
35. Chef’s Choice "Hybrid 250" electric knife sharpener, $50, Llbean.com: We don’t know why, but dads love knife sharpeners — and this one works with or without electricity.
36. Cross "Classic Century Lustrous Chrome" engraved ballpoint pen, $50, Cross.com: It may feel like the art of handwriting is being forgotten as we speak, but the odds are high that dad is still writing checks, keeping notes in an actual notebook or annotating a cookbook by hand. This engraved, chrome ballpoint pen ensures he’ll think of you every time he jots something down.
37. Beddit 2.0 smart sleep monitor, $149, Amazon.com: This tape-thin device that goes under your sheet syncs with an app on your Android device or iPhone and easily allows you track all kinds of sleep data — including breathing, snoring and heart rate.
38. R2-D2 and BB-8 car chargers, $39.99, thinkgeek.com: There are two USB charging ports, which each provide enough power to charge two tablets simultaneously. But enough about the practicality; the best part is that it's shaped like two of the best "Star Wars" characters.
39. The Touch Speaker Boombox, starting at $28.19, toyzoo.com: If he's all about that bass, he'll love this portable speaker. Simply place your phone in the speaker (no wires or pairing required!) and he'll be blown away by the amplified sound.
40. Igloo Trailmate Cooler, $299.99, Igloocoolers.com: Meet the mother (er, father) of all coolers. Tough, oversized wheels help it easily roll over just about any terrain and its 70 quart capacity allow it to hold up to 112 "cold ones?" Let's just say, he'll be proud to brag about this present.