What will take your turkey to new heights? Bacon, duh! I like to balance the richness of bacon with the bright punch of fresh herbs. Riesling pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of bacon. As with all my recipes, this gravy is gluten- and grain-free, low-carb and packed with healthy fats!
- 1 cup diced bacon, preferably heritage bacon, diced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 cup sweet white wine, like Riesling
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or turkey stock, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, preferably grass-fed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 packed cup chopped fresh herbs like sage, parsley, basil, tarragon, thyme, rosemary and oregano
In a large sauce pot, over medium-high heat, add diced bacon and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the bacon to slightly render.
Add shallots and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, then deglaze with white wine. Lower heat to medium low and simmer until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
Add stock and continue to reduce until gravy starts to thicken and flavor begins to concentrate. Continue to simmer until it has reduced by half and there is a little more than 2 cups of gravy.
Whisk in the cold butter to thicken the gravy then season with salt and pepper and add chopped herbs. Serve immediately.