Aside from being a great morning dish, it also combines two of our favorite weeknight themes: Taco Tuesday and Breakfast for Dinner. It's a yummy vegetarian breakfast taco with some added protein from the refried beans that will surely become a favorite in your house, too.
Technique tip: Lightly grilling the tortillas gives the tacos a great texture. Also, kitchen tongs will help you easily flip the tortillas.
Swap option: The great thing about this recipe is you can really add any veggie you have on hand: Mushrooms, spinach or zucchini would be great in these tacos.
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
1. In a small saucepan, add refried beans and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until warmed through. Let sit over low heat.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook vegetables for about 10-15 minutes, until they soften and begin to caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Crack eggs into a large bowl, whisk in milk and season with salt and pepper. Lower heat in skillet to medium-low and add eggs. Scramble the eggs, stirring every 30 seconds or so with a rubber spatula, for about 6-8 minutes until eggs are cooked (but still look slightly wet).
4. Remove from pan and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Using tongs, heat tortillas for a couple of minutes per side until they start to brown a little.
5. To assemble tacos, layer refried beans, eggs, veggies, queso fresco and your favorite toppings. Fold in half and enjoy!