Tom Colicchio, host of Bravo's Top Chef, bulks up this fragrant seafood dish with hearty chorizo.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped roughly into strips
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
- 1/2 orange, zest only
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, cut into rounds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and crushed black pepper
In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, fennel and garlic. Sautee until vegetables are translucent and soft. Add mussels, orange zest and half of the parsley and mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
Add wine to pot. Cover, and cook over medium heat until the mussels open, at which point add the chorizo. Uncover pan and add the butter while stirring, cooking until liquid has reduced by approximately half.
Transfer contents of pan to a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard any mussels that remained closed prior to serving. Finish with olive oil and remaining parsley. Serve immediately with crusty bread for dipping.