- 2 pounds frozen tater tots
- 2 cups cooked pearl onions
- 2 cups cooked cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons black truffle paste
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 5 pounds trimmed boneless beef short rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 stalk celery, cut into quarters
- 6 cups beef stock
- 24 ounces stout
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with cold water to form a paste
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Season beef short rib with salt and pepper. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, sear beef on both sides, working in batches, and remove from pot.
Keep pot over medium heat, add in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrots and celery. Brown slightly. Add the stout. Reduce heat to low, reduce slightly. Add the beef back to pot. Add beef stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and braise in oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
Remove meat from braising liquid. Strain liquid into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch to thicken slightly.
Spread tater tots out on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes.
Heat oven broiler to medium high. Reheat braised beef in a large saute pan with pearl onions, mushrooms and thickened braising liquid. Once hot, add in heavy cream and fold in truffle paste. Pour mix into metal dish (about an 8x8-inch pan or casserole dish), top with crispy tater tots. Sprinkle gruyere cheese over top. Bake under broiler until cheese is melted. Serve hot.