These Twintastico Italian Romantic Ricotta Balls are especially delicious with Nutella, ice cream or crème fraiche. Serve the elegant dessert bites with coffee or tea.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon confectioners' sugar, plus more for finishing
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Nutella, ice cream or crème fraîche, for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta and eggs, and whisk until smooth. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; whisk to make a smooth batter.
2. Fill a wide and shallow skillet pan with about 3/4-inch of the oil. Heat over medium-high heat until a bit of test batter sizzles when dropped in. Cook in batches, dropping 5 or 6 rounded teaspoons of batter into the pan at a time. When the batter puffs up and the undersides turn golden brown, after about 1 minute, flip and fry for 1 more minute, or until golden brown.
3. Transfer the ricotta balls to a plate with some kitchen towel just to remove the excess oil, and continue cooking the rest of the batter until all is used.
4. On a serving plate, pile the ricotta balls in a rough pyramid. Using a sieve, evenly and generously sprinkle the confectioners' sugar over the Twintastic Italian Romantic Ricotta Balls. Serve immediately with Nutella, ice cream or crème fraîche. Buon appetito!