If you're a Carolina Panthers fan, serve up famed Carolina pitmaster Ed Mitchell's delicious smoked barbecue pork ribs to really get people in the spirit!
- 2 racks St. Louis-style pork ribs, 12 ribs each, membrane removed
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Eastern Carolina Style BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4 cup ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the rub: Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Brush both sides of the racks with oil and rub with the spice mixture. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
In a large pot over low heat, add all the sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Let cool to room temperature. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator 45 minutes before smoking to allow them to come to room temperature. Heat a smoker to 320 degrees F. Preferable a charcoal smoker..Put hickorychips in a small heatproof pan in the smoker. Put the ribs directly on the smoker rack. Smoke for 6 hours, brushing the ribs with the Eastern sauce every hour for the first 3 hours. Remove the ribs to a serving platter and serve.