This pork is so flavorful, so tender, and the perfect comfort food. You can do just about anything with it: make sandwiches, quesadillas, nachos or just eat it standing over your slow cooker with a fork! I like it best served on a bun topped with pickles, avocado and my crunchy coleslaw (find the recipe here).
Technique tip: Reserving some of the cooking liquid to serve with the pork. It will keep it moist and add a wonderful depth of flavor.
Swap option: If you don't want to add BBQ sauce, just add more of the cooking liquid.
- One 5-pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 jar BBQ sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Jalapeños, sliced
- Avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Crunchy coleslaw (recipe link above)
1. In a slow cooker, add sliced onions and garlic. Pour chicken stock and apple cider vinegar over the top.
2. In a small bowl, combine all spices and stir.
3. Rub spice rub all over pork. Place the seasoned pork in slow cooker and cover. Cook on high for 6-8 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Once done cooking, remove pork with tongs and place on a cutting board. Using a fine mesh strainer, drain onions and garlic over a large bowl, reserving liquid. Place onions and garlic back into slow cooker.
5. Using two forks, shred pork (discarding any fatty pieces). Place back in slow cooker. Add about 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid, and desired amount of BBQ sauce, and stir to combine.