The idea of cooking something as quick and easy as a frittata for 8 hours seems a bit counterintuitive. Especially if you want something hot, savory and delicious (not to mention fast) for breakfast. Enter the slow cooker! Combine layers of shredded potatoes, sausage, cheese, onions, peppers…etc and eggs, set it on low before bedtime and by 7:00, breakfast is ready. For a more elegant presentation, carefully invert the finished dish onto a platter, invert again right–side–up and cut into wedges.
- 1 pound frozen bulk pork sausage, thawed, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- One 16–ounce package frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese or smoked gouda (6 ounces)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 10 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ tablespoons all–purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Toast, for serving
1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over moderately–high heat, breaking it into lumps with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Stir in the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook, stirring frequently until softened, 5 minutes longer. Stir in the chipotle.
2. Spray the inside of a 4–quart slow cooker with vegetable oil spray and add 1/3 of the potatoes on the bottom. Add 1/3 of the sausage mixture, 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the scallions. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, sausage, cheese and scallions to make three layers.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, flour, salt and pepper until smooth and pour into the slow cooker. Jiggle the insert slightly to allow the liquid to settle. Place the insert into the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with toast.
Grace Parisi is a New York City-based food writer, cookbook author and food stylist. Her book, Get Saucy, was nominated for a James Beard award. Her latest book, Quick Pickles comes out in Spring 2016. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.