These perfectly buttery cookies have a crisp cookie shell and a soft and chewy finish. They're great for holiday cookie swaps and gifting, as well as lovely additions to any year-round celebration.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (1 cup)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Sanding sugar or sprinkles (optional)
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides with spatula. Add egg and vanilla paste. Mix until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add half to wet ingredients, mixing on low speed. Then add sour cream and combine. Finally, add the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix until a dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Roll dough into golf ball-sized balls (or slightly larger) and dip one side in sugar (if using). Place sugar-side up on parchment-lined baking sheets, a few inches apart.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, until edges start to brown slightly.