We are big taco eaters in our house, but it's fun to change it up a bit with something a little different. I love this dish because while it feels hearty and comforting, it also tastes light. Plus, it has the added health benefits of lean chicken and butternut squash.
Technique tip: Spreading a little sour cream on the bottom of the dish will make sure nothing sticks to the pan.
Swap option: This is a very basic recipe with so many options. For instance, you can try a tomato-based salsa if you prefer, your favorite kind of cheese and basically any veggie your heart desires! Also, you can omit the chicken to make this a vegetarian dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- One 4½ ounce can mild green chiles
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Three 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2½ cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- Cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion, and sauté for 5 or so minutes, until they become translucent.
2. Add butternut squash, and sauté for another 10 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, salsa verde and chilies. Stir to combine.
4. In a 9-inch circular baking dish, add about 1/4 cup of the sour cream mixture, spreading to coat the bottom. Then layer in one tortilla, then 1 cup of the chicken, 1 cup of the butternut squash, 1 cup of the cheese, and 1/3 of the remaining sour cream mixture.
5. Top with another tortilla, the rest of the chicken, the rest of the butternut squash, another 1/3 of the sour cream mixture and 1 more cup of the cheese.
6. Top with the last tortilla, the rest of the sour cream and the rest of the cheese.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cheese has melt and the top is golden brown.
8. Serve with cilantro, avocado and hot sauce.