In this crab cake recipe, muffin tin cups are used to shape the cakes, so you get perfectly portioned cakes that won't fall apart when you cook them.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1½ cups panko
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab, picked over
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Spicy mayonnaise, for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of the panko and the scallions, lime zest, lime juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Fold in the crab. Lightly pack the crab mixture into the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan. Freeze until the cakes are barely firm, about 30 minutes.
2. Invert the crab cakes onto a large baking sheet. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg. Spread the remaining 1 cup of panko in another shallow bowl. Dip the crab cakes in the egg and then dredge in the panko, pressing lightly to help it adhere.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add 6 of the crab cakes and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and 6 crab cakes. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes, until heated through. Transfer the crab cakes to plates and serve with spicy mayonnaise.