We have lots of impromptu dinners with friends in our neighborhood, so we need meals that are versatile and quick to throw together, like these bowls! The ingredients are easily interchangeable to please different palates. We also whip these up for a fun, kid-friendly dish for the little ones.
Technique tip: Removing the outer skins of the garbanzo skins is slightly tedious, but it will ensure that your beans have a nice crunch to them once sautéed. Also, use a fish spatula; it will also help you flip the salmon without it breaking apart.
Swap option: This recipe is basically a canvas in which you can easily switch up what you're working with. Swap chicken for salmon, couscous for rice or basically any veggie your heart desires.
- 4 cups brown or wild rice, cooked
- Four 8-ounce good quality salmon filets
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained, rinsed and outer skins removed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into fourths
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Hot sauce and/or tzatziki sauce (optional), to serve
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Pat salmon filets dry and then brush both sides with olive oil, generously seasoning the flesh side with salt and pepper.
3. Place flesh side down into skillet and sear for 4-5 minutes. Using a fish spatula, carefully flip and then place skillet in oven and bake for about 8 minutes for a rarer fish, 10-12 for more well-done. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Place kale and sweet potato on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment-paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. With oven still at 400°F, roast for 20 minutes, flipping the veggies halfway through. Set aside.
5. While veggies are roasting, place the garbanzo beans in a bowl and add cumin, chili powder, salt and minced garlic. Toss to coat. In a sauté pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add beans and sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often, until beans have a nice golden crunch. Set aside.
6. To assemble bowls, add 1 cup of rice per bowl, 1 sliced salmon filet, a handful of kale and sweet potatoes, a handful of garbanzo beans and top with sliced avocado. Drizzle with olive oil, hot sauce and/or your favorite tzatziki sauce.