This dish is guaranteed to bring smiles to all who eat it. It is simple to make, but your family and friends will think you worked for hours in the kitchen.
- 4 beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1/2 large onion, cut into large pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, leaves and bottom removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
4. Add short ribs and cook on all sides until brown. (You want a dark lightly crispy brown.)
5. Remove the short ribs from the pan and set aside.
6. Add onions, carrots and celery to pan and sauté until slightly caramelized. Add a little more oil if necessary.
7. Add the garlic and shallot and cook until fragrant.
8. Dust vegetables with the flour. Sauté a few minutes until flour and oil are completely mixed.
9. Add the wine and with a wooden spoon, stir and scrape the bottom of the pot. Let simmer until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
10. Add stock and return the short ribs to the pot. The liquid should not cover the meat completely, but only go up about 2/3 of the way.
11. Cover the pot with the lid or aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook until fork tender, about 2½-3½ hours. Check after 2-½ hours and then every 30 minutes thereafter.
12. When done, remove from oven, remove short ribs to a plate and set aside. Cover them with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
13. Strain the braising liquid into a sauce pot and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. (You can discard the celery and onions, but save the carrots! Braised carrots are delicious.)
14. Once the sauce reaches the desired consistency (gravy-like), season to taste with salt and pepper.
15. Serve the short ribs with a little sauce poured on top and your favorite sides.