This as easy as it gets and is a classic. I've made this so many times, it's a VERY simple crowd pleaser! Angel food cake, strawberries, sugar, blueberries and whipped cream. A fun, simple strawberry syrup that is great for the home cook to learn and easy to use in many other dishes like oatmeal, swirled in applesauce, on ice cream, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, etc.
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 angel food cake, cut or torn into little cubes or pieces
- 1 pint blueberries, picked through
- Canned real whipped cream
1. In a medium bowl add the strawberry slices, sugar and toss. Refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring once or twice while waiting. You should notice a syrup developing.
2. Place a baking sheet or aluminum foil over the indirect heat area of the grill (or a grill pan over medium heat). Toast and toss the cake cubes until most sides are lightly golden and warm.
3. In individual bowls or glasses, add some strawberries and syrup, angel food cake, blueberries, whipped cream and repeat the layers until you reach your heart's desire.