Skip the mayo and make this healthy quinoa and pickled carrot slaw instead. It's crunchy, delicious and the perfect dinner side dish.
Pickled Carrots (makes 6 cups)
- 1 pound (about 6 cups) carrots (orange and yellow if available), julienned on a mandoline
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, macerated with a pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground coriander seeds
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Lemon-Serrano Dressing (yields 1½ cups)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
Quinoa Carrot Slaw
- 6 cups Pickled Carrots (above)
- 3 cups cabbage, sliced super thin
- 2 cup romaine heart lettuce, sliced thin
- 4 cups red grain quinoa, cooked
- 10-12 radishes, sliced thin
- 2-3 Persian cucumbers, sliced thin lengthwise
- 2-3 avocados, 1/2-inch dice
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, fine chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- Kosher salt to taste
- Lemon-Serrano Vinaigrette (above)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup candied pecans, crumbled
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
For the pickled carrots:
In a medium mixing bowl, toss the carrots with olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro and all the spices. Season to taste with salt and pepper; refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marinate.
For the lemon-serrano dressing:
Dice shallot and add to a bowl along with the lemon juice and Champagne vinegar. Season with a little kosher salt and pepper. Whisk. Add thyme and serrano and whisk in the olive oil. Adjust the seasoning.
For the quinoa carrot slaw:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients with the exception of the lemon vinaigrette, goat cheese and candied pecans. Toss to incorporate.
Add 4 ounces of the vinaigrette and season lightly with kosher salt and toss again to incorporate the vinaigrette.
Plate and finish with crumbled goat cheese and candied pecans. Add salt and pepper to taste.