Pimento cheese is a Southern comfort food staple that is perfect in grilled cheese sandwiches or as a dip with fresh cut veggies. It also makes the perfect additional to deviled eggs. The recipe calls for making pimento cheese from scratch, but you can also use store-bought if it's available at your grocery store.
Serve the eggs garnished with crispy bacon and scallions, and if you want a really festive treat, add fried popcorn shrimp.
- 2 dozen eggs
- 1½ cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup hickory smoked bacon, cooked and cut into 1/4 pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- One 4-ounce jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked hickory smoked bacon, crumbled
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 24 fried popcorn shrimp, chopped (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, place eggs in a single layer and cover with enough water to cover the eggs with 1½ inches of water above the eggs.
2. Heat, uncovered, over medium high heat until water begins to boil; cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave, covered, for 14 minutes, then rinse under cold running water for 1 minute.
4. Remove the eggs from the water, gently crack the eggshells and carefully peel under cool running water. Blot the eggs dry with paper towels.
5. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks. Place half of the yolks into a large bowl and all of the whites on a large serving platter. Save the remaining yolks for another use.
6. Mash the egg yolks into a fine crumble using the back of a dinner fork.
7. Add cheddar, 1/2 cup bacon, cream cheese, mayonnaise, onion, garlic, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper and using a rubber spatula mix until well combined. (You can also make the filling in the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment.)
8. Season to taste, with salt and black pepper.
9. Using a spoon or piping bag, evenly divide the deviled egg mixture into the egg whites.
10. Garnish with crispy bacon, scallions and fried popcorn shrimp (optional).