The beauty of this pimento cheese pinwheel recipe is that is can be made weeks ahead of time. Simply freeze the pimento cheese pastry log and when ready to serve, thaw, slice and bake.
Chef’s tip: For the pimento cheese, buy a block of the white cheddar cheese and shred it yourself. It makes a huge difference.
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann's
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions or green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, preferably Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package frozen puffed pastry
- All-purpose flour, for cutting board
For the pimento cheese:
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
To assemble the pimento cheese pinwheels:
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Unfold one sheet of puffed pastry onto lightly floured cutting board. Roll out the pastry with a rolling pan.
3. Spread the pimento cheese about 1/2-inch thick. Roll up jelly roll style. (The log can be frozen at this point).
4. Slice to make pinwheels. Place pinwheels on a greased cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown. Enjoy!