What should you make? Magical one-pot spaghetti is an excellent option. Why? Not only is it easy, but everyone likes spaghetti. And, with some minor adjustments to the recipe, it can be made vegan or vegetarian. So cook yourself some spaghetti and get ready for your impressive and utterly mature dinner party, you big adult, you!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- One 8-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 cups tomato juice or tomato-based vegetable juice, like V8
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces spaghetti or fettuccine, uncooked
1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once hot, add the beef, onion and garlic.
2. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir until beef crumbles and is no longer pink.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, water, salt, chili powder, oregano, basil and pepper.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
6. Add the pasta and cover.
7. Let simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
8. Serve with the grated cheese and fresh herbs.
Reprinted with permission from "Young & Hungry: Your Complete Guide to a Delicious Life."