My grandchildren often request this dish. It's a Sunday family favorite!
Special equipment: Nine 5- to 6-inch gratin dishes or an 8- by 12-inch shallow baking dish.
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Seasoned bread crumbs
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs, homemade or store bought
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 small lemon, zested
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 18 medium-large shrimp (about 1¾ pounds), shelled and deveined
- 18 sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Butter, softened, for greasing the baking dishes
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Garlic butter (recipe above)
- Seasoned bread crumbs (recipe above)
- Lemon slices, for serving
For the garlic butter:
Heat the olive oil in a small pan and cook the garlic and shallots gently until soft, but not brown. Pour in the white wine and lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook until almost evaporated.
Cool completely, then beat with the softened butter and parsley until blended. Refrigerate or freeze. (Double or triple the amounts if you like and keep a roll of this delicious butter frozen for future use.)
For the seasoned breadcrumbs:
Mix all the ingredients together until the crumbs are even moistened with oil. If you want to make extra, increase the amounts and keep in a zip-lock bag in the freezer.
For the gratin:
1. Clean the scallops. Feel each scallop and if there is a small, hard muscle on the side, trim it away.
2. Marinate the shrimp and scallops in the olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper for 2 to 3 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
4. Generously butter the gratin dishes (or the large baking dish if you are using that), then sprinkle on a half tablespoon each of lemon juice and white wine. Holding a shrimp by the tail, set it down in the dish so the split sides form a base and the tail is upright. Arrange another shrimp next to it at one end of the dish, and two scallops at the other for individual portions. (If you are using the large baking dish, put all the scallops at one end and all of the shrimps, tails up, at the other.)
5. Cut the garlic butter into cubes and distribute equal amounts over the seafood in the nine gratins or baking dish. Sprinkle about a tablespoon and a half of the seasoned breadcrumbs over each. (If using the large dish, scatter all the garlic butter over and then sprinkle all the breadcrumbs on top.)
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the top is browned and crispy. If the gratin is not sufficiently brown and crunchy, slip under a hot broiler for a minute or so. Serve with slices of lemon.