This healthy lentil stew or soup recipe from actress and bakery owner Jennifer Esposito is gluten-free and gives you a hearty dose of superfoods, including sweet potatoes, kale and turmeric.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 4 cups chicken bone broth, vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 whole small yellow chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 handfuls of fresh kale, cleaned and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Rinse lentils in a colander.
2. In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped garlic and onion, and saute until onions become translucent. Add turmeric and pepper and stir to combine. Add chopped carrots, celery and lentils and stir to combine.
3. Pour in the broth, stock or water. Add the sweet potatoes and bay leaf. Add 1 teaspoon salt (preferably Himalayan sea salt) and stir to combine. Simmer over medium to low heat until lentils are soft and sweet potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork, about 40 minutes.
4. When lentils and sweet potatoes are tender, add the kale and continue cooking until it is wilted and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Serve topped with a splash of olive oil, more salt to taste, fresh parsley and grain-free bread for dunking.