Take leftover vegetables from dinner the night before, add scrambled eggs, some sliced avocados and a dash of hot sauce and wrap it all up in a corn tortilla. My favorite type of breakfast is one you can eat with your hands!
- 1/2 cup leftover vegetables such as roasted broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, fresh arugula or spinach, corn, peas, etc.
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Three 3-inch tortillas
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place the leftover veggies in a non-stick pan with a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Cook a few minutes until warmed. Lower the heat.
2. Scramble the eggs in a bowl with a fork and 2 teaspoons of water or milk. Add to the pan with the veggies over low heat and slowly cook, stirring constantly with a spatula until the curds are set. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Fold in the cheddar cheese until just melted.
5. Warm the tortillas by placing on a flat top for 20 seconds per side. You can also heat in a microwave or a skillet.
6. Divide the eggs and vegetables among the three tortillas.
7. Top each tortilla with fresh herbs like scallions and cilantro. Arrange a few slices of avocado on each tortilla and top with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
Reprinted by permission of The Red Rooster Cookbook by Marcus Samuelsson, Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Copyright © 2016.