We love this recipe because it is simple to make but it looks like you worked all day making it so presentable. It sits beautifully in the bowl. Such a great recipe to use when you want to feed a crowd and look good doing it but without much effort!
Technique tip: Serve this in a deep glass bowl to show off the colorful layers.
Swap option: You can substitute any of the ingredients for your favorite fresh vegetable.
- 1 head leaf or iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1¾ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Start by putting the lettuce in the bottom of the bowl. Top the lettuce with green pepper and red onion rings. Then add the celery, then the mushrooms and sprinkle with lemon juice.
Add the peas in an even layer over the mushrooms. Next add the mayonnaise, evenly covering the vegetables and maneuvering the mayonnaise to touch the container around the edges. Cover the dish and plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Before serving, top the dish with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.