Little Big Town singer Kimberly Schlapman shares her recipe for savory biscuits with cheddar and bacon.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Pour off (and reserve) all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan. Add the onion, and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika in a large bowl. Mix to blend, then make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk and melted butter, Cheddar, bacon and onion. Mix gently with a wooden spoon. The dough will be slightly wet and sticky. Using a 1/2-cup dry measuring cup, portion the batter onto a baking sheet, leaving 1 inch or so between each biscuit. You will have about 6 biscuits.
3. Brush some of the reserved bacon fat on the top of each biscuit. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes.