Fresh tomatoes are only in season in late summer, so I like using canned tomatoes to make this healthy sauce any time of year. This recipe is lower in salt and fat than most jarred sauces, and it contains no added sugar.
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped (or 4 teaspoons jarred chopped garlic in water)
- 2 large cans (28 ounces each) whole plum tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- black pepper (optional)
1. In a small stockpot or large deep skillet, heat the oil until warm but not smoking.
2. Add the garlic and cook only until lightly colored.
3. Add the tomatoes and juice.
4. Add the onion and bay leaf.
5. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes, until the tomatoes break apart easily (then mash them with a potato masher or spatula to break them up).
6. Remove the onion.
7. Stir well. Add black pepper to taste.