When life hands you leftover rice, make your own chicken "fried" rice. It’s just like the dish you’d order at your local Chinese restaurant, but waayyy healthier. Plus, you probably have most of the ingredients in your fridge already. You can also swap in quinoa for the rice. And if you want to make it gluten-free, just be sure to choose a gluten-free soy sauce.
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 3 eggs + 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
1. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions, carrots and snow peas, and saute until veggies are hot and soft (about 5 to 6 minutes).
2. Move veggies to one side of the pan. Liberally coat the other side with oil spray and scramble the eggs, chopping them into bit-sized pieces.
3. Once eggs are cooked, mix the eggs and veggies together. Add rice, chicken and scallions and mix. Add sesame oil and soy sauce, and mix thoroughly until everything is hot and rice is starting to crisp.