The only thing better than a doughnut is one that's been warmed on the grill, topped with sweet rum-infused pineapple, ice cream and a boozy brown sugar sauce.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 fresh pineapple rings
- Oil, for grilling
- 5 fresh glazed doughnuts
- Vanilla or coconut ice cream, for serving
For the pineapple:
1. In a pan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, rum, orange juice, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt. Allow the sauce to melt together then stir until combined. Bring sauce to simmer and allow to reduce by about 1/3.
2. Add pineapple rings to a glass dish and pour 3/4 of the sauce over the pineapple. Let the pineapple slices soak for about 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
3. Heat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly brush the grates with oil.
4. Grill the pineapple about 5-7 minutes on each side until beautiful grill marks appear and the pineapple is tender. While grilling, you can baste with additional sauce used for soaking the pineapple.
For the doughnuts:
Oil the grill grate again. Place the doughnuts on the grill (watch them carefully because they can burn quickly). Grill for about 20-40 seconds then flip to grill the other side.
Cut the doughnuts in half. On the bottom half of the doughnut, place a pineapple slice and scoop of ice cream and top with the other half. Drizzle with the remaining brown sugar sauce and serve.