I love grilling artichokes because it infuses them with smoky flavor.
Technique tip: Rubbing lemon juice over cut parts of the artichoke will prevent them from browning.
- 2 whole artichokes
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 quart chicken broth or water
- 12 parsley stems
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 lemons, zested, divided
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 12 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
1. Wash the artichokes under cold water. Using a heavy knife (preferably stainless steel), cut 1/4-inch off the bottom of the stems. Pull off the lower petals that are small and tough. Using a peeler, take the skin off the stems. Cut off the top inch of the artichoke, then cut it in half lengthwise.
2. Cut one of the zested lemons in half and rub artichoke with lemon so artichoke will not discolor. Alternatively, you may put the artichokes in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice.
3. In a heavy bottomed pot, add the white wine, chicken broth, parsley stems, garlic, bay leaves, half of the lemon zest, salt and peppercorns. Bring to boil then add artichokes and reduce to a simmer. Place a saucer on top of artichokes or use double boiler insert so artichokes remain submerged. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Take the artichokes off the heat and let them sit in the pot for another 10 minutes. The artichokes are ready when a knife can be inserted and provides a little resistance. Remove from liquid and let sit until they are cool enough to handle.
5. In a small bowl, soften the butter in the microwave on high for 30-45 seconds.
6. Add the grated Parmesan, remaining lemon zest, onion powder and garlic powder to the softened butter and stir to combine. Set aside.
7. Scrape away the thistle fuzz covering the artichoke heart. Stuff Parmesan cheese mixture in between artichoke leaves. (It may seem like a lot, but that is what you want.) Season with salt and pepper. Grill, cut side down, for 2-3 minutes. Turn artichokes over and grill for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately.