This chicken dish is simple, quick to assemble and very flexible. Serve with your favorite green vegetable and a few orange wedges. It's a real crowd pleaser.
Technique tip: If you like more color on the chicken, you can remove from the oven when almost done, carefully open the top of the foil pouch, exposing the meat, return to the oven and broil briefly.
Swap option: Feel free to experiment with other fresh and dried herbs or rubs like za'atar, thyme or basil. Use lemon in place of orange, drizzle with reduced balsamic or tamari when out of the oven.
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Chicken and potatoes
- 8 ounces baby red skinned potatoes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Two 6-8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons spice rub (recipe above), or your favorite poultry spice rub
- 1 orange, navel or cara cara, zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375°F.
For the spice rub:
In a small bowl, mix all the spices together until well combined. Set aside.
For the chicken and potatoes:
1. Lay out two 12-by-16-inch sheets of non-stick aluminum foil on a flat surface.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes, about 1/4-inch thick.
3. Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
4. Evenly divide the dressed potatoes into the center of each foil sheet.
5. Drizzle each chicken breast with a few drops of oil. Rub half of the spice mixture on each breast with the oil to coat.
6. Slice each breast on the bias into roughly 3/4 inch slices.
7. Lay one sliced chicken breast over the potatoes on each foil sheet.
8. Sprinkle half the orange and oregano zest over each portion. Divide and scatter the sliced shallot on top. Drizzle the orange juice over the chicken.
9. For each packet, bring the long sides of the foil up to meet each other, fold over a few times to seal the top. Then fold the sides up towards the center twice to finish sealing in the package.
10. Place on a sheet tray and bake for approximately 25-35 minutes, depending on thickness of the chicken, until chicken is just cooked through.