- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 10 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. In a large bowl, microwave the milk at HIGH for 1½ minutes. Melt the butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute.
3. Gradually whisk in the warm milk and cook, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Whisk in the salt, black pepper, shredded Gouda and Gruyère cheeses and red pepper if desired, until smooth; then stir in the cooked pasta. Add the chopped prosciutto and mix well. Spoon the pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish; top with the shredded Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.