Not only can this chicken and rice casserole be made ahead and frozen, it's a comforting way to get your kids to eat their vegetables. It doesn't get much easier than this on a weeknight.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Breadcrumbs, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a skillet, melt butter, and cook onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender. Transfer to a 9- by 13-inch, disposable casserole dish, or 2 smaller ones.
3. Add chicken, rice, soup, stock, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly, and cover with foil.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, top with breadcrumbs if desired, and bake an additional 10 minutes. Or, bake for 30 minutes, let cool completely, cover, and freeze for up to 2 months.
5. To reheat, let thaw in the refrigerator during the day. Bake as directed above.