Dallas chef Tre Wilcox revs up grits with smoky chipotle and spicy Jack cheese.
- 7 ounces canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cups quick grits
- 1 poblano pepper, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 cup jalapeno Jack cheese, chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a blender, add the chipotle peppers, tomatoes and chicken stock. Blend till smooth. Strain the mixture into a deep sauce pot. Heat boiling until boiling and then begin whisking in the grits. Once all of the grits are added, lower the heat.
2. In another sauce pan, sauté the poblano, red bell pepper and garlic. Cooking quickly for about 1 minute, then add to the pre-cooked grits. Finish with the rest of ingredients and season to taste. Serve hot.