This shrimp dish has an amazing smoky flavor due to the charring of the chili in the marinade. It takes ordinary to extraordinary.
Technique tips: To skewer the shrimp, place all of the shrimp side by side "spooning" each other, and then skewer. It's a very simple technique that allows the shrimp to cook evenly. Shrimp are best grilled on high heat to get good texture on the outside while leaving the inside just cooked and luscious.
Swap option: This marinade also works great with chicken breasts.
Special equipment: Skewers
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 to 4 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, mix the red onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and oil.
2. Place the shrimp in a plastic container and pour the marinade over them. Cover and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill to high heat.
4. Remove the shrimp from marinade and thread them onto skewers.
5. Season shrimp with a pinch of kosher salt and place on hot grill. Grill shrimp for approximately 2 minutes per side.
6. Remove the cooked shrimp from grill and serve.