We like to serve this for lunch or for a light supper. We sometimes place the vegetable mix in a rice or lettuce wrap for our kids' lunch or snack. You can serve this as an appetizer in a wonton wrap and steam or fry it.
Technique tip: Cutting all the vegetables the same size allows for even cooking.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, (about 2/3 cup), chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced green beans
- 1/2 head cabbage (about 4 cups), chopped into small chunks
- One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons garlic salt, to taste
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for topping (optional)
In a large skillet or wok, warm the oil. Add the onion and stir over medium-high heat until it looks translucent. Add the carrots and potatoes and sauté until slightly softened, and then add green beans. Add 1/4 cup of water to vegetables and cover. Let steam for about 2 minutes.
Uncover, and add the cabbage and garbanzo beans. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender but still crunchy, about 5 minutes. Season with garlic salt to taste, top with the peanuts and serve.