I love ordering chicken Parmesan at Italian restaurants, but the rich dish isn't exactly swimsuit-season-friendly. This burger is equally delicious and perfect for a summer backyard get-together!
Swap Ideas: You can use ground turkey instead of chicken, bread crumbs instead of the panko or sour cream instead of the Greek yogurt. You can serve these on buns or ciabatta but they are also great served alone!
Siri's Time-Saving Tip: Make the burgers ahead of time, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in Tupperware in the freezer or fridge until you're ready to cook them!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 hamburger buns or ciabatta, for serving
1. In a large bowl, add the ground chicken, panko, Parmesan cheese, Greek yogurt, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired. Using your hands, combine the ingredients until just incorporated. Form the mixture into four patties.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Place the burgers in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Preheat the oven broiler to high.
5. Place the burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Spoon a dollop of the marinara sauce on each burger. Top with a tomato slice and then the cheese. Place the burgers under the broiler for a couple of minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
6. Serve on buns or alone. I like to serve these with a side of spaghetti squash or a salad.