Joy Bauer shares a healthy recipe from her new book, "The Joy Fit Club: Cookbook, Diet Plan and Inspiration."
- Oil spray
- 3 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 ounces dry whole grain linguine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (if needed)
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms (such as button, cremini, and stemmed shiitake), thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, or 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or thyme
Coat a large nonstick skillet with oil spray. Heat the skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Add chicken to the hot pan. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is browned, turning once halfway through cook time.
Remove the skillet from the heat and carefully add the water. Return to the heat and bring the water to boiling. Reduce the heat and cover the skillet. Cook for 9 to 12 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Remove the chicken from the skillet, reserving any liquid in the pan. Cover the chicken and keep warm. If necessary, add enough of the chicken broth to the pan to make 1/2 cup total liquid in the pan.
Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the liquid in the skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms and onion are tender.
Add the cream cheese and stir until cheese is melted and combined with the vegetables.
Stir in the milk, roasted pepper strips, and drained linguine. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until mixture is heated through and well coated with the sauce.
Divide the pasta mixture among four serving plates. Thinly slice the chicken. Place the chicken on top of the pasta on the plates. Sprinkle with the basil, oregano, or thyme.