I'm always looking for simple ways to add new life to classic comfort foods. Splitting the sausage and adding bubbling cheese adds so much more texture and flavor to this ballpark staple.
Swap option: Simmer the sausages in beer instead of water for added flavor.
- 4 large Italian pork sausages (about 1½ pounds)
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 4 hot dog buns, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
1. In a large shallow pan, add sausages and just enough cold water to cover. Bring to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, remove sausages from liquid and set aside. Let cool on a clean foil-lined tray.
2. Preheat broiler to high and set rack in the top third of the oven.
3. In a small bowl, combine smoked cheddar, smoked paprika, jalapeño and all-purpose flour. Mix well and set aside.
4. Score the cooked sausages in a diagonal crosshatch pattern, about 1/2-inch deep, without cutting all the way through (the scored marks will spread open slightly as they broil). Place them on a foil-lined tray and broil until surface is golden and hatches open up slightly, about 3-4 minutes. Remove the tray from oven and carefully press the cheese mixture into the slits you've created in the sausages.
5. Broil cheese-stuffed sausages for about two minutes, or until cheese is melted, bubbly and has a few crispy edges.
6. Served hot on toasted, buttered buns with fresh baby arugula.