These meatballs are stuffed with gooey melted cheese.
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85% lean (makes 36 mini meatballs)
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage meat, casing removed
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 36 small (1/2-inch cubes) cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with non-stick parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, with your hands, combine the breadcrumbs, milk, beef, sausage, cheese, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add eggs and oil and continue mixing, using your hands, until all ingredients are combined.
3. Take about 1/4 cup measure of meat, press the cheese into the meat so it is encased and roll into a ball. This will ensure consistent sized balls.
4. Place meatballs on the baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes.