Most people don't think to grill carrots; they only think to use them raw and in salads, so this dish is a real showstopper. And it's easy. Plus, carrots are at their peak right now.
Technique tip: Close your grill while the carrots are cooking to give them some real smoke flavor.
Swap Option: Your favorite root vegetable
- 6 to 8 whole raw jumbo carrots, washed
- 2 ounces peanut oil
- 1 ounce honey
- 2½ ounces goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the grill to high heat.
2. Wash carrots and trim ends, but do not peel them.
3. Cut into approximately 1/2-inch-by-1/2-inch sticks.
4. Coat the carrots with peanut oil, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the carrots on the grill, turning them as they gain color.
6. When carrots are just soft enough to pinch, they are ready.
7. Place carrots in a serving vessel and top with goat cheese, honey and chili flakes.