Make eating your veggies easier by covering them in gooey, melty cheese! You won't even miss the macaroni.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large head cauliflower, washed, dried and cut into small florets
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish (can use oval or round too). Set aside.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and turn out onto a cookie sheet in a single layer. Pat dry and set aside.
3. In a blender or food processor, puree cottage cheese, milk, mustard and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, milk mixture and all but 1/4 cup of the grated cheese. Pour into prepared pan, cover with foil and bake in oven for approximated 30 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves. Return to oven and bake about 30 minutes more until top is browned.