There was a cheese shop in Santa Monica (where I was born and raised) that once in a while would host a beer pairing with different grilled cheeses. I always found the idea simple and delicious, because beer and cheese is such a classic combo. This is one of my favorite pairings, perfect for your March Madness game days. Serve them with a Belgium-style Tripel beer.
Technique tip: Place a beer mug or glass in the freezer to chill it before pouring your beverage.
Swap option: If you can't find Muenster, you could swap with a white American or another semi-soft cheese that melts well. Similarly, you could swap the ham with a honey roasted turkey.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 pound honey baked ham, sliced
- 1/2 pound Muenster cheese, sliced
- Salted butter, room temp
1. Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
2. Generously butter one side of bread slices.
3. Place a few slices of ham and cheese in between the unbuttered sides.
4. Add sandwiches to pan, butter side down, over medium heat.
5. Grill for a few minutes per side, until the bread is nice and golden and the cheese is melted. Serve alongside a cold Belgium-style Tripel beer!