If you like Buffalo chicken wings, you're going to love this delicious mac and cheese made with hot sauce, Parmesan, cheddar-Jack, Gorgonzola and blue cheeses.
Note: The blended Buffalo sauce can be chilled and stored refrigerated for up to one week.
- 1 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Buffalo Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar-Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
For the Buffalo sauce:
In a small sauce pan, heat the hot sauce until boiling. Remove from the heat. Using a hand blender, blend in the butter a few pieces at a time until fully incorporated. Blend in the lime juice. Set aside.
For the Buffalo mac and cheese:
Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Boil until it is reduced by one quarter. Lower the heat, then whisk in the Parmesan, cheddar-jack and Gorgonzola cheeses. Season with the salt and black pepper. Toss the pasta with the cheese sauce, then fold in the Buffalo sauce.
Spoon into four pasta dishes. Sprinkle the buttermilk blue cheese crumbles over each dish and top with the chives.