Salad has never been more tempting with Chef Michael Lomonaco's bacon dressing, brightened up by shallots, Dijon, honey and red wine.
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 1/2 pound thick cut slab bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Separate the leaves of lettuce, gently wash under cold running water, being careful not to bruise the delicate leaves, allow to air dry and drain on paper towels.
2. Place bacon into a sauce pan over low heat. Allow the bacon to cook thoroughly, remove most of the rendered bacon fat and reserving it.
3. Add the shallots to the bacon in the pan which is still warm, and over low heat stir in the mustard and honey vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Whisk the vinegar into the pan with the warm bacon and drippings; add the oil in a steady stream until the dressing emulsifies.
5. Divide the lettuce leaves equally among four plates and spoon the warm bacon and dressing equally over all the lettuce, spooning additional bacon dripping if desired.