These meatballs have layers upon layers of flavor, literally! The onion shells help keep the meatballs moist and add flavor and texture. The melty cheese stuffing and the bacon and barbecue sauce combo takes them to another level of delicious.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 to 6 medium sized onions
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 16-24 slices bacon
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef with garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, parsley, egg, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and honey until evenly combined.
3. Cut medium onions vertically on cutting board. Remove the stem and root from each piece.
4. Save the onion shells suitable to wrap meatballs.
5. Remove meatball mixture from refrigerator and form into golf ball sized meatballs. Stuff each meatball with a cube of cheddar cheese.
6. Wrap each meatball in two onion shells and transfer to parchment lined baking tray.
7. Wrap onion-shelled meatball with 2-3 pieces of bacon to completely cover the meatball and making sure each piece of bacon is secured with a toothpick.
8. Brush each meatball with barbecue sauce, covering completely.
9. Bake for 45 minutes, brushing again with BBQ sauce halfway through.