Grown-ups and kids alike will love this spin on the traditional ranch dip. Thin it with a little water and it also dresses a salad.
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado (8 ounces), chopped
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs (such as chives, tarragon, basil, cilantro, and parsley), plus more for serving
- Crudités, for serving
1. Using a flat side of a knife, mash garlic with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt until a paste forms. Transfer to a food processor with avocado, vinegar, buttermilk, mustard, oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper; purée until smooth. Add herbs; pulse just to combine.
2. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours. Sprinkle with more herbs and serve, with crudités.